Frequently Asked Questions



What references and checks are carried out?

  • Credit Score Bankruptcy CCJ/ Court Decree
  • Personal identity check
  • Verification of current home address
  • Verification of previous addresses
  • Report on detrimental credit history
  • Current Landlord / Managing agent reference
  • Employers reference & financial checks


Why are references required?

TPM York use references to check all applicants credit history and also a reference from a former landlord, current employer and previous employer. These references are necessary for us to ensure that you have the means to pay the rent. We check your credit history to check whether you have had any court orders or CCJs against you in the past. The landlord reference is to help us ensure that you are a reliable tenant who pays on time and doesn' t damage the property. Your employer reference is to ensure that you are in the employment stated on your application form.

What if I am self-employed?
You will require either three years certified accounts from your accountant/auditor OR three years worth of tax returns confirming your income. If you are in a position where this is not possible then a guarantor may be required or you can offer to pay the full rent in advance for the term of the tenancy.

What is a guarantor?
If your financial reference is weak for any reason you may require a guarantor to support your tenancy. A guarantor needs to have strong financial references as they will have to be responsible to guarantee to the Landlord:
1) payment by the Tenant of the rent due under the tenancy agreement and
2) due performance of the Tenant's covenants and obligations contained in the tenancy agreement. 

What if I am retired?
You will need to provide proof of a pension to cover the rent or an income from Shares or Investments; alternatively you can offer to pay the full rent in advance for the term of the tenancy. A guarantor may still be required.

Do you have properties available for short term letting?
Most of our properties are available for at least one year at a time. We may allow for a mutual break clause, this is often two month's notice after, but not before the sixth month. We may sometimes, although not always, accept a Tenancy for six months.

Am I allowed pets?
Not unless specifically defined and agreed in advance. Many blocks are restricted to pets by head leases, which Landlords must obey. If you require a property that does allow pets then please let us know and we will do our best to find a suitable property for you.

How do I pay my rent?
Rent is paid monthly by standing order from your bank and is normally set up to leave your account 3 days prior to your rent due date (this is typically the date on which you moved in, although not always). Be sure to tell us if your circumstances change, for instance you change banks or your employment situation changes.

Do I need contents insurance?
Yes! You must insure your contents, as the landlord's insurance cover the actual property, but not your possessions.

Who pays the council tax and other bills?
You do, unless otherwise stated. As the tenant you are responsible for opening accounts with the utility companies when you move into a property. These include gas, electricity, water, council tax, TV licensing, telephone and broadband etc. You should take the meter readings at the start and end of your tenancy. We will do this with you on check-in and check out.

What does joint and several mean?
This means that when more than one person comprise the Tenant, they will each be responsible for complying with the Tenant's obligations under the tenancy agreement both individually and together.

Unfurnished or Furnished?
Each property is let with different levels of furnishings. Unfurnished normally means carpets and white goods only. Furnished will tend to include living room furniture, dining furniture, beds and wardrobes, etc.

Is my deposit protected?
From 6th April 2007, all deposits paid to a landlord or agent for an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement in England and Wales, must be protected by a Government authorised Tenancy Deposit Scheme. TPM York is a member of the Deposit Protection Scheme.


Can the landlord refuse to give me back my deposit?

If you have entered into an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) in England and Wales, then the return of the deposit is subject to tenancy deposit protection. You will be provided with clear information about the scheme once your deposit has been registered (within 30 days of being paid), if you would like details on the scheme prior to this please contact us. The scheme provides an alternative dispute resolution process whereby an independent adjudicator will make a final decision on the disbursement of the deposit money.


What am I as a tenant responsible for?

As a tenant you are responsible for: - Prompt payment of rent. - Prompt payment of gas, electricity, telephone and internet bills. - Reporting any damages and repairs to the property as early as possible. - Carrying out odd jobs in the property in a Tenant like manner such as changing light bulbs etc. - Repairing any damage caused by you at the property which includes unblocking a sink or toilet which has been blocked due to your misuse.


What is classed as fair wear and tear?

Fair wear and tear is the normal deterioration of an item in normal use, however, it is a landlord's decision on what is reasonable wear and tear and what is excessive dilapidation. Fair wear and tear is based on the length of the tenancy, the number and ages of the Tenants, the condition and ages of the items and the expected lifespan of these items. If TPM York will ensure that the condition of the property is noted down in the inventory with you (the tenant) upon check-in for reference of the original condition of items in question, we will also conduct the check-out and we encourage tenants to be present.


Can the landlord enter the property without my permission?

The answer to this is usually stated in the tenancy agreement. In most cases a landlord cannot enter the property without giving the tenant reasonable notice beforehand, usually no less than 24 hours in writing. Please see your tenancy agreement for more details. However, in the event of an emergency which may affect the safety of the occupants or the property, it may be necessary to gain access without this notice.


Can I redecorate or make any other alterations to the property?

This will be stated in the tenancy agreement, but in most cases you cannot decorate or alter the property without the landlord or property owner's consent.


Can I stay longer than the agreed term of my tenancy?

Once the initial fixed term is coming to an end, it may be possible to continue the agreement for a further period of time by mutual agreement with the landlord concerned.


The paperwork has been completed and the deposit and initial payment have been paid, how do I organise my move in date?

TPM York will meet you at the property to complete the inventory and check-in process and handover the keys. This will be done again on checking-out of the property at the end of the tenancy. The inventory is to record details of the condition of the property and fixtures, fittings and furnishings.


If I have any problems during my tenancy, who do I contact?

Upon check-in you will receive a comprehensive troubleshooting sheet if you require further help then you can email your enquiry to or call 07881 583199.


How do I pay?

Any money payable to TPM York must be paid in cleared funds, usually the easiest and safest and quickest method is by bank transfer. What will happen if I am late paying my rent? If 7 days or over a charge of £30 applies and for every 7 days thereafter.


We hope that the FAQs will have answered your questions, if not, then please get in touch by email to or call 07881 583199

Print Print | Sitemap
© Thompson Property Management (York) Ltd